Re: [Usability] 'Capplets' (was Re: background/font capplets)

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 16:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:
> > The best suggestion that pops into my head is to call the general "area"
> > of GNOME the "Desktop Preferences". I would refer people to specific
> > preference pages in the documentation based on the Applications (e.g.
> > "Applications->Preferences->Background").
> >

> Since it's in Applications maybe we could call them "preferences
> applications"? "Preferences X" where X is something seems like the
> right idea.

Are we talking about preferences for applications, or are we talking
about applications used to change preferences? Personally I dislike
the idea of referring to the latter as "applications", because it
tends to clash with the idea of an application as a fairly large
piece of software that performs some fairly self-contained task, as
opposed to a small, symbiotic piece of software that performs some
secondary task.

Preference Panels?
Preference Tools?