Re: Clarification needed on gsearchtool.

hi all,

On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 17:33, Narayana Pattipati wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make gsearchtool accessible. I have few suggestions on
> its
> functionality. Please comment on the same.
>
> a) In MS Windows file search, when the search is underway, pressing Esc
> stops the
>    search. I feel this is a very good feature. In gsearchtool, when the
> search is
>    underway, only way to stop the search is to click the stop button.
> Can we follow
>    MS Windows and have 'Esc' to stop the search.??

This is a good idea.

> b) On the advanced search page, when the user types-in something to
> search for,
>    only way to start the search is to click on the 'Find' button. I feel
>    it is easier for the user to press Enter/Return to start the search,
> once
>    he/she finishes typing-in the values. Can we provide this.??
>    This feature has already been provided on the simple search page.
>
>    I have implemented these two features and they seem to be working.
>
>    What I want to know is, are there any side effects in having the
>    above mentioned features in gsearchtool.?? Am I overlooking
> something.?

This should definitely happen.

In gnome 1.4 we had the gnomedialog widget, which had a nice api
function called: gnome_dialog_editable_enters - which was used to allow
the entering of 'return' in an editable widget (eg: an entry) to
effectively be equal to clicking 'ok' on the dialog.
(unfortunately this functionality did not go into the gtk2 dialog widget
- I wonder what else we lost)

I'm not in an authoratative position, but these suggestions are very
good.

thanks,
wayne