[Deskbar] Idea - integrate deskbar in the gnome menubar

Hi all,

I originally sent this idea as a Launchpad bug, but I thought it could
be better to discuss it in the list.

I just read this comment on ubuntuforums:

> I love how in Vista I can press the Start key and instantly type in
> stuff to find such as files or apps. Is it possible to do the same
> actions in ubuntu? I know there are search features and some program
> called Beagle seems pretty popular, but is it possible to get that
> same action on ubuntu?

So I thought, why not? Would it be possible to include deskbar on the
gnome menubar, so that you can start searching just by clicking the apps
menu or pressing F1?

I made a mockup to see what it would look like:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4394/pantallazo1zm0.png

As for not forcing it on the user, we wouldn't have to. It could be
enabled or disabled, very easily, from Alacarte. So it would depend on
the distributions (or the users themselves) to show it by default or
not.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2087/pantallazouk1.png

So, do you have any opinions on it?

Thanks,