Re: [Deskbar] Using Deskbar in KDE

On 03/04/2008, Nathan Spears <spearofsolomon gmail com> wrote:
Hey guys,

Before I say anything else, I'd like to compliment your application, which seems to be a well-planned and slickly-developed app.

I am not a novice to linux but in the desktop world I have a lot to learn.  I am giving open suse a shot and decided to use KDE based on a couple recommendations.

An application launcher has become one of my must-haves, and I tried and rejected katapult and beagle in short order.  katapult is pretty but has little functionality, and beagle has lots of great functionality but not quite the right feel.  I have spent a couple hours figuring out what gnome libraries your application requires and getting them installed, but I still can't seem to get it actually working.

At this point my best effort has been to run the applet from command line until I ironed out the dependencies:
/usr/lib/deskbar-applet> ./deskbar-applet
DEBUG    Data Dir: /usr/share/deskbar-applet
DEBUG    Handlers Dir: ['/home/nspears/.gnome2/deskbar-applet/modules-2.20-compatible', '/usr/lib/deskbar-applet/modules-2.20-compatible']

but I have no idea how to add it to an applet for use on the desktop.  Honestly, the panel thing kind of baffles me and I'm not sure where to go from here.  When I try to add a "non-KDE applet" and point it at your script all I get is a button.

If there's anyone who wouldn't mind either enlightening me as to how easy it is, or that's it impossible, to get deskbar-applet running on KDE I'd appreciate the help.

As such I don't think that it is possible to make deskbar run under KDE, but it should not be difficult to hack it to do so.

AFAIK the KDE kicker/plasma can not  embed Gnome applets. The alternative strategy would be to make deskbar expose a system tray icon. Since this is based on a cross platform spec it will work in KDE too.

I think you can restrict your hacking to deskbar/deskbar-applet.py. You need to add an alternative mode that embeds the button in a gtk.StatusIcon. You can copy much of the code from the window mode found in that file.

Cheers,
Mikkel