Re: [Deskbar] Match/Action display string

2007/9/29, Sebastian Pölsterl <marduk k-d-w org>:

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen schrieb:

> Hmm... I think it is a difference in how the Match/Action relation is
> understood that is the root of my confusion.
>
> My idea was that Actions was extra functionality you could add to a match,
> while I understand from your explanation that a match with a set of actions
> is merely a placeholder for those actions...

The match in 2.20 has nothing to do with the match in <= 2.18. In 2.20
the match is just a placeholder for the object that the module has
found. A match without actions added to it does actually nothing.
However, the 2.20 actions is very similar to the <= 2.18 match.

> Showing the default actions makes sense in from my view, but from your view
> (as I understand it) I guess it makes sense to display something else.

It makes sense when only one action is available. The question is if a
match has more than one actions, should we display the description of
the default action or the name of the match?

Hmmm, I'm not really sure what the right solution is. The ultimate goal is of course to display the most useful and relevant information to the user. How the API looks underneath should not govern what reaches the user.

I still think I would display the default action. After all you still have the arrow to indicate that there are other possibilities. It's just a hunch though, I'm not really sure...

Cheers,
Mikkel