[Deskbar] Re: finding display names for tomboy notes

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 01:17 +0100, Raphael Slinckx wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 07:24 +0000, Juri Pakaste wrote:
> > Now, I could patch the Leaftag handler to dig out the title of the Tomboy note.
> > I don't know if the patch would be accepted, but I could try. I just think that
> > would stink a bit. The Leaftag handler feels like the wrong place to hide logic
> > for reading Tomboy notes, that's two unconnected responsibilities being handled
> > by one object. And besides, it could be needed later somewhere else.
> >

> In my opinion the best way to handle your problem is that the "tag
> creator" which is in this case the tomboy plugin, inserts the title
> associated with the source (just like tagging a filename allow to
> retrieve.. the filename). You could imagine also if a web browser uses
> leaftag, it will tag the url and also store the url <title> for later
> use.
>
> The deksbar handler will just have generic call to get_title or
> get_content or get_description or whatever it ends up being..
>
> So in this case i'd suggest to patch (or maybe just use the mechanism
> they have, if any) leaftag to record these data in the db..

Not a half bad idea. Christian, David: Leaftag doesn't currently allow
you to store any sort of description for an URI. Have you considered
something like this? That would relieve the tag-reading clients from the
responsibility of coping with all the URIs the tag creators decide to
store in Leaftag. OTOH, it might lead to some Leaftag-real world
synchronization problems if the URI stays the same but the content
changes.

--
[ Juri Pakaste | juri iki fi | http://www.iki.fi/juri/ ]