Re: [Deskbar] Consistency regarding Searches, Extensions, Plug-Ins, Handlers

2006/7/30, Nigel Tao <nigel tao gnome gmail com>:
In composing my recent spiel to desktop-devel-list, I've noticed that
we use Searches [1] and Extensions on two out of the three tabs in the
preferences panel, and the NewStuffManager installation dialog
mentions "handler".  You can see this on the screenshots at
http://blogs.gnome.org/view/nigeltao/2006/07/30/0 .  I've also often
said Plug-in.

This occured to me a few times too. I never did anything about it though...

We really should be be consistent, and stick with one word.  I'll
propose Extensions, same as Epiphany and Firefox (but not gEdit).  It
will remain Handlers in the code-base, but it will be Extensions in
the UI.

Well, it's a tough call.  "Extension" does not seem to be spot on - with regards to what a handler really is in deskbar. Plugin and handler are even worse words though. Since I don't have any better suggestions, I'm with you on Extensions anyway.

[1] The tab is "Searches", and right underneath that is a bold label
"Loaded Extensions".  Maybe we should just call the tab "Loaded
Extensions" or just "Extensions" and scrap the label??

+1.

Thoughts?

No. It's to hot and moist here in Denmark for  that kind of action. I need less than 30 degrees celcius and 100% humidity to think :-)

Cheers,
Mikkel