Re: [Deskbar] Punt DA to 2.18, NewStuffManager as a separate module in GNOME 2.18??

2006/8/2, Sebastian Pölsterl <marduk k-d-w org>:

Nigel Tao wrote:
> Here's some points that I'm writing down before I forget, and maybe
> I'll add some more later.
>
> * NewStuffManager (henceforth NSM) is pretty cool.  People are liking
> the idea, and e.g. Epiphany folks are interested in using it.
>
> * I still have security concerns about the current implementation, and
> these concerns will not be resolved by the 2.16 time frame.

You're absolutly right. We have to think the security issue over.

> * Somebody suggested that NSM is quite similar to KDE's Get Hot New
> Stuff (http://dot.kde.org/1110652641/ ).  Perhaps we should collaborate
> / merge / get funky under the freedesktop.org umbrella.

I only had a brief look at it. Seems to me that it's intended to be a
platform for sharing documents. Not exactly what we have in mind.

> * We are in 2.16 UI Freeze and approaching String Freeze.  Messing
> around with the preferences dialog at this point will break these
> freezes.

Ah, I didn't know that. Therefore, work on NSM should be almost done :/

> * One option is to punt all this new goodness for another 6 months
> (GNOME 2.18) to really make this puppy shine (and to get out of
> freeze).  On the downside, this would mean that there's nothing new in
> stable deskbar-applet for another 6 months.

Sounds somewhat reasonable, especially because of the security issue.
But I can't decide if it's better to leave NSM out of the release or
ship it in a somewhat incomplete state.

On the one hand, we don't really know if it's stable or has some major
security holes we don't know about. In addition, we could use the new
dbus bindings in the 2.18 release I guess. This would be the biggest
point for me as programmer to postpone the release, because the current
python bindings don't support destroying a dbus object. Actually, I
didn't looked at the new ones, but I think I heard something that this
issue is solved.

On the other hand, we would show the users that we are really making
process and that makes them happy.

All in all, I must say I tend to postpone the release, because I don't
want to be sorry for what I've done if it's out there and buggy.

I have not checked if its easy to write out in a clean way - without introducing even newer bugs, but I think i +1 a post pone.

Cheers,
Mikkel