[Deskbar] Punt DA to 2.18, NewStuffManager as a separate module in GNOME 2.18??

Here's some points that I'm writing down before I forget, and maybe
I'll add some more later.

* NewStuffManager (henceforth NSM) is pretty cool.  People are liking
the idea, and e.g. Epiphany folks are interested in using it.

* I still have security concerns about the current implementation, and
these concerns will not be resolved by the 2.16 time frame.

* Somebody suggested that NSM is quite similar to KDE's Get Hot New
Stuff (http://dot.kde.org/1110652641/).  Perhaps we should collaborate
/ merge / get funky under the freedesktop.org umbrella.

* We are in 2.16 UI Freeze and approaching String Freeze.  Messing
around with the preferences dialog at this point will break these
freezes.

* One option is to punt all this new goodness for another 6 months
(GNOME 2.18) to really make this puppy shine (and to get out of
freeze).  On the downside, this would mean that there's nothing new in
stable deskbar-applet for another 6 months.

Thoughts??