[Deskbar] Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

On 10/29/05, Raphael Slinckx <raphael slinckx net> wrote:
> Ok, i like the approach of an expermiental gconf key to enable alt-f2
> replacement, maybe we can try to make that happen, it won't hurt
> anybody, and yet will allow to receive feedback from user who choose to
> activate it.
>
> A question though, wouldn't this require to disable alt-f2 if the
> specific key is found (by patching wherever alt-f2 lives, where ?) ?

Alt-F2 is a global metacity keybinding; when Metacity detects that
keypress, it sends a message to the root window that gnome-panel
monitors for; gnome-panel then launches the run application dialog.

One possibility (though I don't know how difficult this would be to
do) would be having gnome-panel detect if deskbar is running and
forward any open-run-dialog messages to it instead of what it normally
does; if deskbar isn't running, then gnome-panel could just launch the
normal dialog it has.