Re: [Deskbar] Separating UI and backend

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 21:19 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> I have been puzzling with this idea over the last week or so...
>
> Maybe we should separate GUI and search backend completely. The current
> architecture makes this quite easy. Basically make a small script that
> starts ModuleLoader/List exports a few handy methods over DBUS and
> becomes a daemon. As far as I can see the only stuff the daemon needs to
> export over the bus is
>
> 	- search (string, categories=All)
> 	- configure () # popup pref dialog
> 	(- present_results_in_cuemiac (coords))
>
> The last one is not necesarily a good idea to export, but would be handy
> so other potential users won't have to write their own presentation
> widget.
>
> This might fare best as a part of the Cuemiac project, but would
> certainly be feasible in the current setup too.
>
> This architecture would allow us to go more in the direction of
> Gnome-launch-box and a run-dialog-replacement, and generally integrate
> with other apps. The Python bindings for dbus are quite cool and well
> documented.
>
> What do you guys say?
>
> Cheers
> Mikkel

Oh, I forgot to add;

In such an overhaul it might also prove worthwile to convert
AsyncHandler to a daemon, to get it out of process to avoid gtk
threading madness (stop smiling Raphael ;-P)... Currently there's only
the google-live handler so we won't be spawning daemons left and right
anytime soon...

Cheers
Mikkel