Re: Deja Dup Abilities Not the Same As Shown on the Gnome Wiki

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020, at 12:12, Norm Betland via deja-dup-list wrote:
Hi Deja-Dupers,
I'm running Deja Dup on Fedora 31 Workstation, and I saw the following on the wiki page (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/Details)

Déjà Dup lets you specify that you want backups to be kept for a period of time (say, a month), after which, you are OK with the backups being deleted.

However in the Deja Dup GUI interface, I can find no such option. The only options are -6 months, -1 year, and -Forever. How do I set it to the one month option?

Ah thank you -- I didn't notice that the wiki page was out of date with the current UI. I've updated the wiki to be more accurate.

The UI doesn't offer a one month option. But if you can manually edit the settings for Deja Dup (if you install via yum, dconf-editor should work by navigating to /org/gnome/deja-dup/ -- or if you installed via flatpak, you'd have to edit the ini file at ~/.var/app/org.gnome.DejaDup/config/glib-2.0/settings/keyfile), you can set the 'delete-after' key to whatever number of days you want.

And I know that there is a bug feature request out there for being able to select automatic scheduling times that work for individual users, and I was just wondering if this was actually being looked into. The request is 11 years old and still actively has people commenting on it that they would definitely appreciate such a basic feature. Any direction or help on how to override some of the restrictive features in the GUI would be appreciated as scouring the internet has provided nothing useful.

Again, if you can edit the settings, the 'periodic-period' can be set to a number of days between backups. But there's no way to control the *time* of day yet.