Re: UI Refresh

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019, at 14:14, Mathieu Jourdan wrote:
If I understand well, to exclude a file from backup, she would have to
"add" it to the "included files", and the turn the button off? Seems not
really straghtforward to me.

That’s fair. I liked the idea of having the standard locations that you could turn off and on. Wasn’t
sure how best to add custom includes / excludes into that mix.

Any ideas there or do you think the standard location items  aren’t worth it?

Rough thoughts below.

I think part of the difficulty may reside in mixing two different
approaches:
1. based on content type (ie, "I want to backup my documents and
pictures and videos")
2. based on file hierarchy (ie, "I want to backup all my personal data
of any kind but not these specific folders")

With the first logic, the user wouldn't even have to exclude anything,
because that's implicit. With the second logic however, the only way to
perform an exhaustive backup would be to offer to pick up only
one folder to include. The user would then explicitly exclude any
subfolder she knows for sure a loss would be harmless.

My feeling is that those two approaches don't mix well together.

You say that in scenario 1, people wouldn't need to exclude anything. But I bet that it's not uncommon for
folks to have a Documents or Videos subfolder that they don't want to back up. Which makes those two
approaches feel very similar. The big difference would be more like, do you have one or multiple "include
roots"? Where each root has its own little excludes. Maybe that is a decent way to organize the UI? A set of
"parents" with exceptions attached to the parent. Would have to think of how to lay that out in a reasonable
way...

One goal with this redesign is reduce the amount of like, folder math, that people need to do, as I suspect
that's not an easy mental mode for most people. That's why I kinda like the big "on/off" switches for common
includes.

Some other vaguely-related things to consider:

- It's not uncommon to get requests to add regex include/excludes. So far, this is something I've resisted,
as I think it's a bit pro-level and have not thought of a very friendly way to show it in the preferences.
But here's a chance to think about that again.

- It might also be a good  time to consider how we talk about hidden folders? Restoring them along with your
data files is tough, because (a) snap permissions (if we stopped being classic mode) prevent writing to
hidden folders in your home and (b) restoring over your active session's hidden folders can cause some bugs
as configs get overwritten in live time. This is more of a restore problem. But maybe if we also separated it
in the include preferences, we could set some user expectations for showing them differently in the restore
mode too. (I don't know how we want to solve that restore problem -- maybe have a separate button/mode like
"restore hidden files to somewhere which won't overwrite your current ones, but where you can still do
something useful with them" -- whatever that means)

Prettier than our current UI for sure.

More observations on the refresh… I'm not sure how well the view
switcher would work:
- on the "backups" view, I would expect to find existing backups
- "restore" is an action, not a type of content

Maybe having “Back Up” and “Restore” as the two view names would work better to solve those two points.

- having both a back button and a view switcher in the header bar
feels a bit awkward to me

I hear you here, but that’s a GNOME design pattern these days. You can see it in Software, Boxes, etc.

https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/header-bars.html.en