Re: Memory Issues and Problematic Workaround with ulimit

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 9:05 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha ubuntu com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 8:54 PM, Michael Terry <mike mterry name> wrote:
Maybe another solution is to keep some sort of ulimit thingy in there (maybe
bump the number too) but just turn off apport reporting for the monitor
process, so Ubuntu doesn’t get reports?

No, that won't work. The deja-dup-monitor will not run without
crashing if it has the ulimit line as written.

What you can do is disable the Gigacage for your process, but the
Gigacage is a new ASLR-style security feature in webkit2gtk 2.20. You
can do that with something like:

Exec=sh -c "ulimit -v 1000000; exec GIGACAGE_ENABLED=0
/usr/lib/deja-dup/deja-dup-monitor"

We do need to decide on some kind of solution for the gigacage issue
since distros are already shipping webkit2gtk 2.20. We also need to
SRU a fix for supported Ubuntu releases so that they can receive a
future webkit2gtk 2.20 security update. (Distros need to update to the
new webkit2gtk stable series every 6 months to get security updates.)

Michael, I'm sure you pretty busy and this is a complicated problem.
The webkit developers released their latest security advisory today.
[1]

I'm hoping you'll be able to make a release soon to help out other
distros. Also, I was hesitant to do the required Ubuntu SRUs until I
saw how you fixed this issue in Deja Dup master.

[1] https://webkitgtk.org/security/WSA-2018-0003.html

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha