Looking for picture in backups....

So I have done backups through the years and have deleted old directories of pictures usually stored in folders by years. all of 2009 pics are in folder under pictures directory called 2009. Is there a way to restore just that folder? If I click on missing files it doesn't grab the folders, just the files that were under pictures directory or folder. None of the folders are listed.

Do I have to do a complete restore to a temporary folder and go through it looking for the pictures directory and specific folders I am looking for? Is there anyway to see the back up directories, scroll through them to find the pictures and then click on them to restore them, or i have to do a complete restore to a separate folder and search that way?

Thanks,
Greg