Re: [Deja-dup-hackers] rackspace

On 26 March 2010 22:41, Daniel Hollocher <danielhollocher gmail com> wrote:
> Rackspace uses containers which are basically the same as S3
> buckets except that the names are not global and there is no limit to
> how many you can have.  So the way buckets are handled can be applied
> to containers without consequence.

Great.  Except that containers should probably be exposed like we do
for S3 'folders' so the user can backup multiple machines to rackspace
in different containers (and we don't have to bother with a
deja-dup-auto-XXXXX container since they aren't global).

> So, I'm curious how to implement.  Rather than copying the code, I
> think it would be better to abstract the S3 code were needed.  I.e.,
> assign any strings that need to be changed to protected variables, and
> have BackendRackspace be a subclass of BackendS3  (the other way to
> setup inheritence would be to have rackspace and s3 inherit from the
> same class, but that seems more complicated than it is worth)   Let
> the bucket naming convention be applied to the containers.

I like the idea of a little baby parent class (BackendCloud?
BackendCustom?).  I'm guessing there will be more of these subclasses
as time goes on.

But sounds good!  Thanks!
-mt