ANNOUNCE: Beagle 0.3.8
- From: "D Bera" <dbera web gmail com>
- To: Beagle-Mailing-List <dashboard-hackers gnome org>, mono-announce-list lists ximian com, gnome-announce-list gnome org
- Subject: ANNOUNCE: Beagle 0.3.8
- Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:49:17 -0400
I am pleased to announce the release of Beagle 0.3.8, the next
feature release of the 0.3 series. There are lots of new features, GUI
changes and bug fixes; see below for the rather large list. Due to
time constraints, we could not get the translations up-to-date for the
GUI. Expect a release shortly with up to date translations.
THE SHORT OF IT
Beagle is a Linux desktop-independent service which transparently and
unobtrusively indexes your data in real-time.
To download the 0.3.8 release or learn more about Beagle, visit
the Beagle web page:
Beagle supports many different data sources and file formats. For a
complete listing, visit:
Beagle includes an optional GNOME-based graphical tool and a browser
interface for searching its indexes.
To learn more about Beagle, visit:
IMPORTANT CHANGES between 0.3.7 and 0.3.8
* Update local copy of SemWeb and include it under GPLv3 instead of CC-by-2.0.
* Update beagle-settings-qt requirements: look for either qyoto.pc or
* Remove internal taglib-sharp. We now require that taglib-sharp be installed.
* Remove the build dependency of sqlite3-devel,
* Fix our D-Bus requirements. System D-Bus is an optional requirement
Session D-Bus is a necessary requirement for "beagle-search --icon".
should make beagle-search depend on something that starts session
D-Bus at login
(e.g. KDE3 does not automatically start D-Bus at login).
* Explicitly use -lX11 to build libbeagleuiglue.so. Fixes #540120.
* Require gtk+/# >= 2.10.
* Remove the build dependencies of libgnome-2.0-dev and libgnomevfs-dev.
* Add a SemWeb based adapter for querying beagle using RDF.
Strictly experimental and enabled only with --enable-rdf-adapter.
* Add the GMail backend related options to beagle-settings-qt.
* Add a BibTex filter based on the command line program 'bibparse'.
bibparse is a run-time requirement and can be found in the btparse package.
* Add infrastructure and command-line tools to create and manage
static indexes for removable sources.
* Add a crawl-rule for indexing executables in /usr/bin, /bin etc.
Add beagle-crawl-system [--list] [crawl-<name>] options to list the system
indexes and selectively update only one system index.
* Add support for snippets for remote beagled query.
* Add support for KDE4 konqueror history.
* Show a drop-down list in beagle-search to choose search categories.
This was previously hidden in the menus. Use BEAGLE_SEARCH_SCOPE
environment variable to allow users to create custom categories.
* Add menu options to beagle-search to start and stop beagled and
show index statistics.
* Enable the Open-With context-menu in beagle-search results.
* Include a python script to grab shortcut keys from beagle-settings
(distributed under GPL3).
* Focus the search entry is there are no results initially. Fixes #529540.
* Fix a regression where searching applications and other system wide indexes
were disabled by default in beagle-search.
* Update Evolution backend for the new Evolution-Sharp API. Fixes #526685.
* Use the correct protocol for evolution-tasks "task:///...". Fixes #530624.
* Handle corrupt config files. Fixes #532308.
* Fix parsing of Opera history cache. Fixes #533529.
* If the firefox extension does not find ~/.beagle, show the message in the
icon tooltip instead of showing the disruptive alert. Fixes debian
#463922, bnc #385513.
* Handle rogue backends if they start throwing lots of errors. This will
save the log files from getting flooded with unnecessary exceptions.
* Fix the spreadsheet filter which was broken since 2007!
* Correctly generate URIs for child-indexables (e.g. archive contents,
docbook entries). Fixes #535020.
* Fix the docbook filter to not return unnecessary matches when only
one docbook section matches the query.
* Show an error dialog if beagle-settings encounters an unhandled exception.
This gives a better feedback to the user. Fixes #541134.
* Always show the filename separately in the beagle-search results. Show the
filename instead of document title for pdf, odt etc. files whose
titles are mostly
unset or auto-generated.
* Properly parse Pidgin log files with smilies; these lines used to throw
an exception earlier.
* Support KMail-3 in KDE4. Fixes #540153.
* The FileSystem backend now correctly handles filenames in a
non-utf8 locale if MONO_EXTERNAL_ENCODINGS is set to the platform encoding.
* Fix a bug where beagled sometimes returns less than 100
(max-results) results even
though more results are available.
- Hungarian (Gabor Kelemen)
- Spanish (Jorge Gonzalez)
- Italian (Gianvito Cavasoli)
- Occitan (Yannig Marchegay)
- French (Claude Paroz)
- Brazilian Portuguese (Fábio Nogueira)
- Czech (Adrian Gunis (Fixes #537846))
- Swedish (Daniel Nylander)
- Norwegian bokmål (Kjartan Maraas)
Other contributors: Nirbheek Chauhan, Arun Chaganty, Florian Echtler.
Full set of changes:
* If you use any torrent client or any other p2p application, add its download
directory to the excluded directory list of beagled. Sometimes beagle can take
a long time to parse partially downloaded files.
] [Thread Prev