Re: beagled-helper maxing out CPU core

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Sandy Armstrong
<sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
> I notice that I constantly have a beagled-helper process taking up 99% of
> the resources on one of my cores.  I've been having some issues with my
> system hanging and thought maybe this was responsible (haven't found
> anything conclusive yet).  Is this amount of CPU usage normal?

Definitely not for that amount of time.

> And saw this resultant output in ~/.beagle/Log/current-IndexHelper:
>
> 20080812 09:55:23.7245 04698 IndexH  WARN: Handling signal 12 (SIGUSR2)
> 20080812 09:55:23.7614 04698 IndexH  WARN: Filtering status (2h54m13s ago):
> no document is currently being filtered.

So, I think the error message here is a little bit misleading.  I
think in this case it means not that no document is being filtered but
that it's trying to determine the MIME type for the document, and it's
that code (possibly inside xdgmime) that is spinning.

You might be able to better track down the problematic file by looking
at /proc/fd/4698 and look for files that are open that it's likely
crawling.  You could then run beagle-extract-content on those files
and see if you can easily reproduce the CPU issue.