Re: IMAP, Google, and Yahoo Drivers

Hi all,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Shaw" <joeshaw novell com>
To: <mada gautier org>
Cc: "Dashboard Hackers" <dashboard-hackers gnome org>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 7:55 PM
Subject: Re: IMAP, Google, and Yahoo Drivers

The problem isn't the code so much as the terms of service for the
Google key.  I don't remember the exact issues, but basically we can't
ship a key with Beagle and so it's up to people to get their own keys
for their own personal use.  Very annoying.
We also dealt with the Google API and its license before and we think, even if the user provides its own key, Beagle is not allowed to use the API. The license [http://www.google.com/apis/api_terms.html] says: "... And you may not use the search results provided by the Google SOAP Search API service with an existing product or service that competes with products or services offered by Google. ..."

Which, I guess, holds for Beagle since Google provides its own desktop search application :-(

Regards,
Enrico M.

--
Dipl. Inf. Enrico Minack - PhD Student