Re: Web history backends and privacy issues

Hi

I've got mixed feeling about this.

I do a lot of web development and I often have to clear my cache, just
to make sure the changes caught up, but I really love the idea to keep
all the websites I browsed even if I deleted the cache. I wish the
extension be available for

Since it is a concern to delete "browsing history" I suggest to not tie
it to the whole "browser cache" itself but to specific part of it
(yesterday or the day before).

A better idea would simply have an option in beagle-setting to flush
whatever index you wish.

BTW. deleting browsing history is just not a thing about obscene stuff
you want to hide. It is also  about very serious life or death matter.
If you are chinese, burmese or from Kyrgyzstan deleting your browsing
history is an act of "liberation" and freedom of consciousness that we
Free and Open source software user/developer should try help out

Joe Shaw a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 17:44 -0500, Debajyoti Bera wrote:
>> So the question is: what should beagle do to the indexed web pages ?
>> Should they expire after some number of days ?
>
> I think this is the way to go about it, and it would be simple to add.
> Each time you visit a page it's reindexed, so the expiry date will be
> reset.
>
> It might also be good to add an item to the browser extensions which is
> basically "remove this page from the index", which would do a one-time
> removal of it if you, um, stumbled onto some, ahem, inappropriate page.
>
>> Should there be any correspondence between the actual history stored by the
>> browser and the webpages stored in beagle index ?
>
> It might be nice to tie clearing the cache with clearing the index if we
> can, but that's the extent to which I think Beagle's indexing should tie
> into browser history.

> Joe

David Tremblay

Information Technology for development analyst
Legal reform assistance project

*emails :*
david ngowiki net // david roy-tremblay net // david lerap org

*Phones*
Mobile : 84-4-0912 474 995
SIP  : 1-747-004-8537
skype : ict4ngo