Re: Storing Mail Snippets in TextCache

Hey Kevin,

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 00:18 -0400, Kevin Kubasik wrote:
> Just to try and start tackling the issue of snippeting in the
> Evolution Backend, I set SnippetMode = true in my FilterMail and let
> my machine go at it. Snippeting actually works fine.. if not splendid.
> What is our major concern with storing mail snippets in the textcache?
> (or at least making it an option).
>
> If its space on the drive (That textcache can grow ;) ) With my
> compressed textcache patch (attached, and in the bugzilla [1] ) its
> about 6.7 megs for the textcache with over 10,000 mails (totaling
> about 120 megs of space on my imap server) .

Yes, the main reason we haven't been storing them in the textcache is
because of the size.  Storing all the text (uncompressed) would nearly
double disk usage for mail.

Also, the way the Evo mail backend is written right now and because of
the way we have to access Evo's mail stores, there isn't an easy way to
do a quick lookup of mail.  My hope had been to get Evo fixed so that we
could quickly jump to the actual mail and extract the snippet, but maybe
going with a compressed text cache is the way to go.

I haven't gotten to reviewing your compressed textcache patch yet, sorry
about that.  I've been swamped with Novell stuff lately.

Thanks,