Possible Thunderbird Backend

I know this has been brought up several times in the past, and has
generally been rejected, but I have managed to dig up an interesting
(and relevant) tidbit.

Thunderbird does support a URL scheme to open mails from the command
line. Most of this was me poking around random code/irc but lo and
behold the Thunderbird URL scheme.

mozilla-thunderbird
mailbox:///home/kevin/.mozilla-thunderbird/3982yzw2.default/Mail/Local\
Folders/Sent?number=4614

(My sample, IMAP is 10 times harder, but it seems doable)

It basically references the file directly, and then includes the
message number/id (I don't have any specific terminology on this)

My issue to date has been determining the message ID based upon the
mbox file. I plan on continuing my search, but I wanted to share what
I had for anyone who wanted to help etc.

--
Cheers,
Kevin Kubasik