Re: what files does beagle index?

Hi,

Does beagle try to index every single file in my ~ (including
"dot-dir"s)?  I have done searches on terms that I know are in files in

By default, beagle tries to index every file under your home-dirctory,
_except_ dot-dirs. Files and subdirs under .dir wont be indexed.

my ~ but they are not showing up in beagle.

This is not the intended behaviour; either their is some bug or there
is some mistake in the setup.

Does beagle try to exclude files it "thinks" you don't want indexed like
a "binary" "db" file for example?

Its hard to extract data from binary files. I am not even sure how to
extract all words from a db file. But anyway, beagle relies on a huge
collection of filters to extract data from various types of files. The
filters in beagle cover nearly all the possible formats from which
data extraction is possible e.g. html, doc, comments from jpeg. There
is no filter for 'binary db' files as of now; hence beagle would
ignore them.

(How) Can I examine beagle's index and see what files are in the index?

Similar to the way you examine Google's index and see what webpages
are in the index :)
Jokes aside, the recommended way to examine if a file is indexed is to
query for the filename. Put the whole name in quotes and you should
get it in the results.

Debajyoti Bera @ http://dbera.blogspot.com