Re: Reindex needed?

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 18:01 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 22:58 +0100, James Fitzsimons wrote:
> > I installed beagle a short time ago but only recently realised that I
> > didn't have extended attributes turned on yesterday. I have now enabled
> > them, but do I need to refresh my indexes and if so, how do I do that?
>
> It's not necessary, although it will speed things up quite a bit.  You
> can delete your old index by deleting the
> ~/.beagle/Indexes/FileSystemIndex directory.  When you restart beagled,
> it'll start reindexing your files.

Hrm.  What triggers a file's "re-index"ing?  Like if it's contents have
changed, obviously, but how does beagle determine this?

I don't know what goes in the EAs, or even what files the EAs are
attatched to (must be the actual files being indexed -- there would not
really need to be EAs otherwise I'd figure), but I guess for this type
of scenario (which happened to me too!  Ran with EAs not enabled for a
while) it would be nice if beagle noticed that it is able to create EAs
where it was not when the file was last indexed and just do it.

Maybe that's just too difficult.  I'm just armchair quarterbacking
here.  :-)

b.

Brian J. Murrell