Re: Beagle Handler of Deskbar-applet uses too many memory

> oops. Well, it kind of did. But as far as I can tell, it went away after
> it finished indexing my email. dBera, you mentioned before you thought
> this might be a memory leak. Is there any easy ways for us to trace
> that?

Well, if it went away after indexing of email finished then you should
forgive beagle for the initial greediness :)
Its hard to identify memory leak. I generally follow these steps to
determine if beagle is leaking:

- start beagle with only the suspect backend
  e.g. beagled --allow-backend Files --fg --debug
- note initial memory usage (more emphasis on RSS than VMsize) when
the backend is starting up
- if beagle is indexing, let it finish indexing; if it is crawling let
it finish crawling (beagle might need to keep some internal data
during these operations)
- note beagle memory usage
- if there is a substantial increase, i conclude there "might" be a
leak. (I generally look at beagled and not the helper)

If you find a leak and decide to investigate further, you can use the
mono profiling tools (esp. heap-buddy written by Jon) to narrow down
the leak. Joe recently wrote a nice blog about one of his
leak-plugging sessions http://joeshaw.org/2006/03/17/386 .
May the force, err... the beagle, be with you.

Debajyoti Bera @ http://dbera.blogspot.com