Does /should "Search Preferences" applet work?

Hi,

Does or should the "Search Preferences" applet in Gnome (2.12/2.14)
work?

1. If I select "Start search & indexing services automatically" nothing
starts: e.g. if I want to search for something "Beagle search" says that
the service is not running and I have to start beagled manually.
2. Pressing F12 does not work, not even if I have started Beagle
manually.

Is there any way that I can get the expected behaviour?

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld