Re: running beagle on a server over nfs

hello.

this is the status of the my tests before i leave for the weekend.

my home directory gets indexed by a beagle daemon on the nfs server and
exported as a nfs share. the client runs beagled with the
'--disable-scheduler- flag set. indexing and searching works damn good.
no crashes and i can find everything (files, mail etc... - except
webpages in firefox).

rpc.statd has to run on server and client (of course). beagle-search
yabi, nautilus and the gnome deskbar applet work just fine.

the client beagled doesn't caches changes, only when it get restarted
but this i can make automated e.g. every five minutes. the only thing is
that beagle-search stops working than. i have to close it and start it
again (a little annoyance).

next week i extend the test to a setup where parts of the fileserver are
exported as samba shares.

but still a problem is, that on the fileserver for every user one beagle
daemon has to run - a lot of memory. this can work in my office (average
5-6 users) but in bigger environments not anymore.

a few questions more:
* i guess that beagle-search listens permanently to the socket (?) of
the beagle daemon. can i change something in the sourcecode to stop
that? than i have to press enter on every search i want to do (no live
querying) but okay, i can live with that.
* are there any plans to integrate beagle into a networking environment?
webservices is deprecated i read, but could there something come as a
replacement.
* can i incorporate the firefox extension into this server/client
setup?

thanx for all your help
greetinx
christo