Re: running beagle on a server over nfs

> i followed your approached. i created a new user test and
> exported .beagle/Indexes and .beagle/TextCache as nfs over localhost.
> both i had to export as rw. to avoid ownership problems i added the
> client user(crito) to the group of the server user (test).
> the client beagle (as user crito) can search the indexes without any
> problem and also pretty quick (testet files and evolution mail).
> there were some issues though:
> * when i search for certain files, i get error messages like:
> -------------------
> Debug: Parsed query 'src' as text_query
> Warn: Caught exception calling DoQuery on 'Files'
> Warn: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
> "/home/test/old/initrd/sbin/mdrun" is denied.
> -------------------

Do you have the file /home/test/old/initrd/sbin/mdrun exported (i.e. in
client ?) Might be some goof up in exporting but there might be something
else going on. Also, how does your client beagled command look like ?
What response do you get when you search for this in server ? Can you paste
the output from beagle-query (if there are multiple results, paste only
one) ?

> * i create a file on the server. the server beagle process recognises it
> and i can search on the server for it. but on the client i can't find
> it. is it because beagle flushes the index to the disk only every hour?
> so if i edit in IndexSynchronisation.cs
> 	static private int sync_interval_in_minutes = 60;
> and change it to lets say 10, will it update the written indexes more
> regularly (i'm not a csharp programmer)

You are using "beagled --disable-scheduler" in client, right ? Or just using
"beagled" in client - which will run beagled in a periodic scan mode to index
your home directory. IndexSynchronization comes into effect if you are doing
periodic scans, should not be required if the same index is shared on client
and server as I hinted to in the my email.

After you create a file in server and made sure that you can query for the
file in server, can you use beagle-query to do the same and let me know any
output of beagle-query as well as client beagled.

> if i can solve these problems on my local testmachine, i will run a test
> on a real life fileserver with a couple of sambashares and nfs mounted
> home dirs at my work.

I am not sure about smb - does it implement fcntl() based file locking ?

About the environment variables, I think some of them are mentioned somewhere
in Wiki (beaglewiki.org). If not, someone who knows what they are should add
them :)

Debajyoti Bera @ http://dbera.blogspot.com