Re: Using beagle from PHP...?

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 11:52 +1000, Joel Utting wrote:
> Has anyone done this? Is it easy to do? I can’t find any information
> on it…

I don't think anyone has done this, so it's probably not trivial to do.

You'd have to take one of four approaches:

        1) Bind the libbeagle C API in PHP.  I've never done this for
        PHP so I have no idea how difficult this would be.  This is how
        we do the Python bindings, however.

        2) You could compile your PHP code into IL and run it on the
        Mono runtime.  If you were hoping to use mod_php, though, this
        isn't going to work.

        3) You could implement the Beagle XML messaging protocol in PHP.
        This is what the libbeagle C bindings do.  It's a fair amount of
        work, and the API isn't completely stable, but if you were just
        interested in a subset of Beagle's API then this might be the
        quickest way to go.

        4) You could call an existing command-line tool like
        beagle-query or right a simple one which returned results in the
        format you wanted.  This is definitely the easiest way to go,
        but also one of the less efficient and flexible.

Hope this helps.