Re: searching for parts of words

The other issue seems to be that we keep focusing on what google can
do with multi-language support, however, they only offer comprehensive
desktop searching in one language at a time (near as I can tell) We
forget that Google has millions of servers worldwide to handle the
processing, beagle has to do all this every time it reads a document ,
and it has to do this with whatever memory and processing power this
home user has to offer. Granted, we are allowed to assume a certain
minimum, but there is a limit to what can be easily accomplished.

While a LANG variable would certainly not be out of our reach, the
lack of a resident linguist might make a language guesser thingy a
challenging project. (Unless of course we find some way to implement a
plugin or language definition architecture.)

While the ability to better handle multiple languages is defiantly a
feature to shoot for in a 1.0 release, I think we might want to visit
the drawing board (ie IRC and perhaps a virtual whiteboard) and map
out features. The ability to handle mized language documents would be
extremely challenging, so that would definitely be lower on the list
of TODO's. however, adding a language field to the index, and
encouraging the addition of language detection in filters would not be
outlandish. (as we have already said, html docs can easily be handled,
and I am willing to bet the OpenDocument format has some field for
language).