-----Original Message-----
From: dashboard-hackers-bounces gnome org
[mailto:dashboard-hackers-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Fredrik Hedberg
Sent: Wednesday, 12 January 2005 8:56 PM
To: John BouAntoun
Cc: dashboard-hackers gnome org
Subject: Re: How to get beagle to work in windows

Hey

I have Beagle running on WinXP with standard MS.NET runtime without
Cygwin or to much other strange stuff. Screenshot is
available at http://users.avafan.com/~fredrik/best-win32.jpg. Goal is to
produce something as native as possible for both Win32 and OSX á la iFolder.

If you dare, you can try the latest installer from
http://users.avafan.com/~fredrik/beagle/win32/beagle-win32-20050111.exe
You'll need to install GTK# for the MS.NET runtime (available from
http://forge.novell.com/) and Gecko# (from instructions
available at http://www.zacbowling.com/monodevelop/gtkembedmoz-sharp/).
A word of warning, this is definently nothing ready
for day to day use as it's mostly a test of the new installer, POF and
of course, eyecandy.

A little a bit about development while on the subject:

I'm gonna take some time to check in the changes for a more platform
independent Beagle into CVS when I'm done with my exams in about two weeks.
Hopefully we'll soon have DBus on Windows as well (current Win32 port
uses the Beagle network interface as a hack). When the code is in CVS I
presume
that more people are interested in hacking on Win32 features, here's a
small todo.

Big things

* MS Outlook Backend - 50% Needs work on supporting IMAP emails and
attachment indexing
* Mozilla/Thunderbird Backend - 25% Need a nice lib like gmime available
on Win32, Linux and OSX, attachment indexing
* SharpReader Backend - 75 % Plain works, prolly bugs though
* AIM/ICQ IM Backend - 0% (Gaim backend works btw)
* Backends for your favourite applications - 0 % What applications do
you wish to see supported on Win32?
* Get an inofity FSW into Mono on Linux for same-source
FileSystemQueryable - 50 % See
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-devel-list/2004-December/009580
.html
for a quick hack.

Small things

* Support thumbnailing of stuff through Thumbs.db
* Enhance the scheduler's cpu monitoring
* Use iFilter to filter stuff like PDF, DOC, XLS etc
* Lots of other stuff

Feedback very welcome.

/Fredrik