Re: ANNOUNCE: Beagle 0.1.3

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 09:38 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>  That's because mono have terrible (read: non-existant) backward
> compatibility. You problably have compiled gmime-2.1.16 with older
> gtk-sharp (which includes glib-sharp). When you upgraded gtk-sharp,
> you removed glib-sharp which gimem-sharp was linked to.

The situation isn't great, but it's improving.  The problem isn't with
mono so much as with the DLLs themselves.  Mono is still a fairly new
technology and we don't have all of the kinks worked out yet.  We're
finally to the point now where gtk-sharp's versioning is straightened
out and (at least Novell and SUSE's) packages take mono versioning into
account.

>   I get similar problem anytime I upgrade dbus (and dbus-sharp). Every
> normal app (C ones and Python ones) works OK with newer version of
> library. But I have to recompile Tomboy everytime, because Tomboy don't
> want dbus-sharp, it wants dbus-sharp-0.50 and I have only
> dbus-sharp-0.60.

dbus is a poor example.  0.60 is API incompatible with 0.50, so even C
apps need to be rebuilt.  And the dbus-sharp DLL doesn't do it's
versioning correctly, so that needs to be fixed too.  Again, chalk this
up to us being novices rather than any inherent problem in mono's
(and .Net's, really) versioning system.