Search applet?

Greetings,

Has anyone toyed with a panel applet for Dashboard?  While I like the
current GUI ideas, I would find it very useful to be able to just query
the back-ends in a panel applet with a drop-down of results (eg, an
unmanaged window sort of like the calendar drop-down).  Maybe a prefs
dialog that let you select which back-ends to query or something along
those lines for fine tuning.

Its on my "when I have time to hack" TODO list, but I thought someone
else might have done some hacking already...

Regards,
 Tom