Re: Obama -- The Judas Goat

The worst is that I received it from 4 different mailing lists, from different people (I think the Conduit and Banshee were from the same person). Someone said it was occuring with the Gnome lists, but the Google Summer of Code also got it.
I just hope it stops now, it is hard to filter coming from different people, and even more difficult if they are spoofing valid emails.

Alexandre Rosenfeld

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliamson mandriva com> wrote:
On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 11:09 -0500, Nick Marshall wrote:

> Why are we getting spam on the list? Can someone kick-bane the
> spammer?

This spam is a new type which, if I'm figuring correctly, goes through
the mail archives (probably automated for popular archive types), pulls
out a legitimate address, and fakes it as the From: address. Not sure
how easy it'd be to filter, as it'll probably be using random IP
addresses from a botnet or something as the real originating address.
It'd probably be pretty easy to tell it's not really Otte who sent it
(even without looking at the content and the completely wrong name), but
as for reliably banning the system that *is* sending it, that might be
harder...
--
adamw