Re: Release Plans

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Jan Michael Alonzo <jmalonzo gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 11:47 PM, John Stowers <John Stowers gmail com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hello John

> I wish to use PyWebkitGtk in Conduit [1]. In order to do this I will
> need a stable release do depend on. I was wondering what your plans
> are WRT releasing PyWebkitGtk. Are you going to match releases with
> the WebkitGtk folks (they say they will make a stable release prior to
> GNOME 2.24, so that they can be accepted as an external dependency)?

I'm planning to base the next release on the WebKitGtk stable branch.
But first I need to speak to Alp (cc'd) about the stable branch to
make sure what's in pywebkitgtk-stable is also in webkit-stable, as
well as to sync with the dates.

Just curious, do you have a date in mind when you want a release to happen?

We are trying to follow the GNOME release schedule (http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentythree), so we are making release with Webkit support at the moment (although disabled by default). It just a matter of switching it on once its actually practical for users to be able to install pywebkitgtk.

Its more the practical matter that we would like to be able to depend on a stable released version. Ensuring it will be picked up by the distros, and make packaging a lot easier. Im not sure about the other distros, but the Ubuntu debian import freeze has already passed (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntrepidReleaseSchedule). The next important milestone is the feature freeze on August 28th. At least a week before that would be good.

Regards,

Jan Alonzo
http://www.unpluggable.com