Re: evolution python-0.0.4 needs installation guide

On 10/24/07, Shaun Barlow <shaunbarlow ozemail com au > wrote:
Hi all,
I know I'm being a bit of a pesky noob at the moment, but...
It's my theory that any great invention (like conduit) is only as useful
as the layman can get it going.
Anyway, I've just spent a whole afternoon scouring the net (and trying
with frustration) to understand why the evolution dataproviders were not
apppearing conduit's gui.

You raise a good point. I have been meaning to add some sort of facility to log errors to the GUI that prevent dataproviders from loading for a while. Perhaps I shoud look into this again!

And it wasn't until I came across a (rather small and hidden) bug report
here: http://www.conduit-project.org/ticket/257 and then read here:
http://www.conduit-project.org/wiki/evolution-python that...
" note: if you install to somewhere other that /usr/ you must remember
to set your PYTHONPATH evironment variable so that python will pickup
the new library"

did I start fiddling around and eventually worked out that I needed to
run "./configure --prefix=/usr" then "make" and "sudo make install" to
get the beloved evolution dps to appear.

Please let me know if this post is in vain and I'm completely stupid,
but when the conduit site reads :

To build evolution-python perform the following

./autogen.sh && make && sudo make install

and I run those commands and nothing works then it's pretty confusing
AND it appears as if quite a few hours could have been saved if only
there was an explicit entry that told me to type "./configure
--prefix=/usr".

Please, for all dim-witted newbs like myself, put a step by step how to
up on the site.

I have updated the wiki page at http://www.conduit-project.org/wiki/evolution-python

Does this seem more readable?

Thanks for your emails and all the help testing,

John

Cheers once again!
Keep up the great work.

Cheers, cheers,