ClutterGst Playback external subtitle issue

Hi Clutter mailing list,

I'm having some issues with ClutterGst (3.0), where sometimes external subtitles aren't shown. I'm experiencing this in the elementary Videos app.
It has three places where Playback's set_subtitle_uri () is called, but only one where the subtitles are actually shown. The uri's seem file.

I haven't been able to find any bugs on bugzilla or mailings related to Playback or subtitles.

Relevant elementary videos issue: https://github.com/elementary/videos/issues/32

Can anyone here help?

Thanks in advance,
Peter