Actor depth changes

Hello,

The following is an application question using clutter 1.22.4 (though
based on a brief scan of the commit logs I don't see anything
applicable so I'm hoping that isn't the issue).  Lower/higher and
above/below are all relative to z-axis positions.

I'm attempting to animate a set of actors that are all children of one
actor.  There are no constraints or layout managers in use on the
parent or the children.

The desired effect is that, after a swipe, the actors are moved, as a
group, to the left or right, and some actors move higher while others
move lower.

For discussion, assume  three actors, 1, 2, and 3, and that 2 is
"above" both 1 and 3 and centered in the parent.  After a swipe right,
I would like the appearance to be such that 2 and 3 are to the right
of 1.  1 would then be centered in the parent and above both 2 and 3.

The problem I'm having is with depth.  Regardless of what I've tried,
2 is always higher than 1 so long as either:
*  2 was added to the parent last using the insert_at_index() method
for the initial creation
or
* 2 was added with a higher depth using add_child() at initial creation.

My question is, if I want to change an actor's children such that a
child that was lower ( 1 above) than another (2 above), do I need to
add/remove that child?  In the case above, if I want 1 to be "above"
2, do I need to re-order the children prior to transformation?

I'm thinking no, and that I just missed something, but I can't seem to
find any clues in the docs or anything similar in the examples.  I'm
going to dig through the code, but I thought I'd ask in parallel.

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Jason