Right way to tap into the main loop

Hi!

I'm using Python for this:
I'm in need of setting up a loop that checks for messages from a virtual TTY and displays the
message once it comes in. Since Clutter.main() hogs the main thread, setting up a normal thread from the main thread does nothing. Setting up a separate process circumvents this, but I see no way of
passing the message back to the main thread which has the stage handle etc.

Is it possible to use a ClutterEvent or signals for this?

I've managed to implement a working version using a time-line that signals a a check
for new messages every 0.1 seconds, but if would be way cleaner to have an actor or whatever
that emits a signal when a message is on queue.

Any takers for this? I guess really the question is how to subclass some event class and override or create a new signal method..

Kind regards,
-Elias