clutter java bindings

I was looking at the state of java clutter bindings and noticed they were out of date. The effort is on git here: https://github.com/clutter-project/jclutter

I have need for some clutter functionality and was going to update these bindings using (borrowing until it is working) some of the plumbing approaches established by java gnome.

One thing I noticed though was the extensive use of strings in the gobject world that clutter is based on and I was wondering how you know when the string needs to be managed external to the API or when the API will managed the string memory for you (e.g. freeing the memory). I looked around for guidance but did not see it after searching.

Can I safely assume that the caller should manage the string memory and that any strings needed in the implementation layer passed through the API are copied and managed as appropriate by the clutter library?