Actor with Canvas - Cairo and Pick

Hi,
A few years ago I was introduced to the pick-with-alpha property. As of Clutter 1.12, I am unsure how to proceed because it seems that property has left along with CairoTexture.

Could someone give me a bit of code* that shows:
1. A custom Actor that uses a Canvas.
2. The drawing of a circle in Cairo commands thereon.
3. The ability to click on the circle and get an event - but only on the circle, not outside of it. (Let's say the alpha areas prevent the event.)

(* C or Vala or Python)

Many thanks,

\d