[clutter] Threaded widget generation

Hi,

In an attempt to decrease the build time for my grid with thousands of
actors I am looking at threading options. It currently takes about 5
seconds to build 25 rows with 130 actors in each row. That's adding approx
5500 clutter.Rectangle()'s to a Clutter.ScrollActor() on my dual core
1.8Ghz with 2048 MB RAM.

I am interested in threading options for clutter. Is there a way to
leverage multicore GPU's during the widget generation process or is that
only handled by the CPU?

Either way is there a recommendation for number of threads to use or a
more efficient method when generating a large grid of actors?

The target system is a quad core with 8GB RAM so things might be faster
with a single "page" of 12 rows but I would like to support smooth
scrolling with upto 1024 rows or 85 "pages".

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd