Re: Contribution to cheese

Ha Tejas

On 2013-03-10 17:14, Tejas Nikumbh <tejasnikumbh gmail com> wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that I'm working on fixing bugs and getting to
use cheese. Had some academic stuff to do so couldn't repsong quickly
enough.

No problem.

Apart from that , I have the following idea in mind which could be
implemented as a GSoC project. Let me know your thoughts on this one and
whether you would be able to mentor me on this one.

Here's the rough idea :

  A Javascript library for UI plugins.
                  Building a library of User Interface Plugins and
providing a easy to manipulate API for the same.

I am not sure that this would fit in well with the proposed design for Cheese that I gave a link to earlier. GNOME applications normally try to do a core task well, and only provide plugins for additional features rather than changing the UI. GNOME Shell is a notable exception, of course. As some thought has gone into the new design, it would probably be best to work on implementation of that design rather than an API to make the Cheese UI flexible.

Also, I do not think that having a JavaScript library is generically useful. It would be much more useful to instead provide a library which could be bound to any supported language (including JavaScript) using GObject Introspection. You might also want to look at libpeas if you are interested in creating a plugin API:

https://live.gnome.org/Libpeas

--
http://amigadave.com/