Re: how to take a snapshot from the command line?

Hi Filippo,
Am 28.02.2010 00:12, schrieb Filippo Argiolas:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Stefan Kost <ensonic hora-obscura de> wrote:
>> Am 26.02.2010 18:47, schrieb George Kraft:
>>> Is there a way to "take a photo" from the command line without opening
>>> the desktop application?
>>>
>>> $ cheese --snapshot --delay 1 --outfile $HOME/Pictures/failedlogin.jpg
>>>

>> sleep 1s;gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src num-buffers=1 ! jpegenc ! filesink \
>> location=$HOME/Pictures/failedlogin.jpg
>
> Hey Stefan,
> I have a question slightly related to this. Most of the webcams I have
> and I've seen so far seem to output a couple somewhat broken frames as
> they start streaming. Is there a simple way (e.g. something you can do
> with a gst-launch line) in gstreamer to drop the first n frames? I
> mean to actually retrieve them from the v4l device but drop them as
> videorate does.
>
> Ciao,
> Filippo

Ideally v4l2 drivers drop those frames. On gst side we could maybe have a
parameter on v4l2src (need to correct basetime for the source). But ideally this
gets fixed on v4l2 side (atleast it would be nice if the driver could report how
many frames should be dropped).

Stefan