Expected resolutions not seen

Hi guys:

I'm using a Microsoft Lifecam Cinema with Opensuse 11.2 on a fairly old IBM Vista machine (1.8 GHz, ) with an Nvidia Vanta/VantaLT card and an Acer AL 2216W widescreen monitor.

Cheese recognizes the cam and gives a picture but only presents me with a grainy image and two alternate rez 160 X 120 and 176 X 144. I don't think this is a limitation of the webcam, more likely a setting or a hardware issue in my machine.

Any hints what might be the bottleneck here? I checked the FAQ for something related to "Image rez is less than expected" but did not see anything.

Colin Beckingham