auto focus of cheese

Dear all:

I use Cheese in Moblin 2.0 env with HP mini 1000.
It works fine.
And I notice the embedded web cam has 'auto focus' function in Cheese. That's great!
But if I plug in  a logitech web cam(which is' QuickCam Pro' and it has auto focus function),
even Cheese can get the Quick cam to capture photo,  The 'auto focus' function fails.

I am quite confused about this.
Why it don't work on QuickCam?
As I know,  Camera controls class (inculding V4L2_CID_FOCUS_ABSOLUTE, V4L2_CID_FOCUS_RELATIVE and V4L2_CID_FOCUS_AUTO )was added to v4l2 in linux 2.6.25.
Does that mean an AP program (like Cheese) can make camera 'auto focus' without special code? or Cheese indeed set some configuration?
Why Cheese work differently in these 2 web cam? lack for Quick Cam driver?

I want to make my program to control 'auto focus' function on web cams.
Just try to figure it out and hope to get some clues from Cheese which is a great example.

I appreciate any help!
Thanks a lot.

BR,
Nemo