cheese output in *avi format?

I have installed cheese in a ubuntu intrepid ibex environment. Problem ist that with a Logitech Communicator STX Webcam it seems to produce video files of huge dimensions in a strange format that mean one can't do much with them. (At least they are far to big to be sent to most email addresses!)

How do i get the output in *avi Format for video incl. sound and with a good deal of compression to make the files small and playable on a recipients windows/xp machine?

If the answer is not simple - please give step by step instructions, cos I am a relative linux-newbie.

Thanx in advance.

ron b.

#adBox3 {display:none;}