auto saving to a hidden directory

Hi all, I hope this won't offend anybody but the auto save to a hidden directory is a bit strange to me.

So here's the feedback/suggestion, would it be possible to either have a button/menu option to open said hidden folder? or  least ask the user where they want to save to.

I've been told that this is a new Apple thing, but frankly no other program I use in Ubuntu does this so it could be/is a bit confusing for new users.

Aside from that thanks for a great program!