Re: using cheese from an external application

On Mi, 2007-10-03 at 14:15 -0400, Ben Konrath wrote:

> On 10/3/07, daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gmail com> wrote:
>         hey ben!
>

>         On Di, 2007-10-02 at 15:04 -0400, Ben Konrath wrote:
>         > Hi,
>         >
>         > I'm working on writing a new user creation module for
>         firstboot in
>         > Fedora. I'd like users to be able to use a webcam to set a
>         photo when
>         > they are creating an account.  I've whipped up a couple of
>         first draft
>         > mockups of what I envision the interaction to look like:
>
>         awesome idea!
>
>         >
>         > http://bagu.org/scratch/create-user-file.png
>         > http://bagu.org/scratch/create-user-webcam.png
>         >
>         > As you can see, I've used the cheese UI and gnome-about-me
>         UI  as
>         > inspiration and I'd like to use cheese to drive the webcam
>         chooser.
>         > What are your thoughts on using cheese from external
>         applications?
>
>         well i _had_ plans about that but unfortunately no time to do
>         it ;) what
>         i wanted to do was a dbus interface, which other applications
>         can call
>         and then get a photo back. this should be quite the same as
>         you thought
>         above, but it allows much more applications to do that (buddy
>         icon on
>         instant messengers, games, gdm, ...)
>
> The dbus interface sounds good. Did you envision having a dbus
> interface for the preview video?

ehmm... what do you mean exactly?

i thought something like a remote control would be handy.. like either
take a picture remotely or just show a limited cheese, which returns a
chosen photo when exiting.

>  I don't know enough about dbus to comment on if that will work well
> but I'll ask on fedora-desktop list to get some comments.

it will, believe me ;)

--
this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gmail com>