Video Source Question

In order to use my webcam with gstreamer, I needed to enter a custom source for video input, v4l2src ! jpegdec. After doing this, I can use gst-launch gconfvideosrc ! gconfvideosink to properly show video. However, in Cheese, I did not notice any reference to gconfvideosrc. How does Cheese determine the correct video source if it does not use gconfvideosrc?

I am very eager to try out Cheese with my webcam.

Thanks,

David Greengas